|Where is Nazeing ? |
Nazeing is in Essex, just north of Waltham Abbey. It is part of the Epping Forest District and parts, including Nazeing Glass Works, are within the Lee Valley Regional Park.
Although entirely in Essex, the nearest town to Nazeing is Broxbourne in Hertfordshire, hence the postal address of Nazeing Glass Works, which although situated on the Essex side of the river Lee, has an address of Broxbourne in Hertfordshire.
The village appears in the Doomsday book as 'Nazinga', and has been spelt in many ways through the years: Nasing, Nasinges, Nesingan etc. It is said that a great battle between Queen Bodicea and the Romans took place on Nazeing Common around 61 A.D., when tens of thousands of Britons were killed.
|Nazeing Church stands on top of a hill, with views west over the Lee Valley and Hertfordshire. Parts of the building date back to Norman times, with the current North aisle added around 1340 and the brick tower and porch in the1500's. A sundial was later put on the side of the tower showing the building's exact position on the map.|
Until the disollution
of the monastries in 1540, Nazeing was owned by the Abbot of Waltham.
Some of the land was rented out to small holders, who became wealthy
Henry VIII is said to have often visited Nazeing when Thomas Cromwell was owner of Nazeing Bury. Stories that this Manor House was home to Catherine Parr (Henry's final wife who out-lived him) for a while appear to be false, as no evidence to substantiate this has been found, although her mother, Maud Parr, did lease Nazeing common. Nazeingbury still stands today near the crossroards in Lower Nazeing, where the Bury Cross once stood.
During the 18th century two rich merchants moved to Nazeing: The Bury family came from Sussex and The Palmer family from Leicestershire. It was William Palmer, and later his son George, who built up the Nazeing Park Estate and Nazeing Park House, later to be acquired by Essex County Council and used as Nazeing Park School.
The boom in fruit and vegetable production in this part of the Lee Valley during the early 20th century led to Nazeing being surrounded by glasshouses. Competion from abroad meant a decline in the 1950's, but there is still a considerable area under glass today. Nazeing suffered badly during the second world war as the RAF constructed a "dummy" airfield with runway and wooden aircraft to detract enemy bombers away from the real airfield at nearby North Weald. This was good for the residents of North Weald, but not for those of Nazeing on whom hundreds of bombs were dropped.
Today, All Saints Church is a grade I listed building. Nazeing also has over 40 other grade II listed buildings including Nazeingbury, Nazeing Park School and several old farms.
|The history of Nazeing from earliest times is covered by two quality hardback books published by the Nazeing History Workshop, available to buy in our shop or online.|
Part 1 is subtitled "Five miles from everywhere" and covers from earliest times until 1914.
Part 2 is subtitled "Seventeen miles from town" and continues the stoty up until the end of the twentieth century.